While many are concerned about the coronavirus, it shouldn’t be overlooked that there are also heat-related illnesses that can threaten one’s health.
Heat-related illnesses can be common, especially in tropical countries like the Philippines where temperature can go beyond 40°C. More than the discomfort that this high temperature brings, it can cause illnesses that may turn fatal.
What are heat-related illnesses?
Heat-related illnesses are caused by prolonged or intense exposure to hot temperatures. When this occurs, the body needs to work harder to cool itself, resulting to a blood rush that deprives the brain, muscles, and other organs of sufficient blood flow that they require to function properly.
Who are at risk?
Anyone can suffer from this, but some people are at greater risk including but not limited to:
3 types of heat-related illnesses and how to prevent them:
Prevention tips for all heat-related illnesses:
● Dress in lightweight clothing. This will allow your body to cool properly.
● Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids to help maintain normal body temperature.
● Limit alcohol and caffeine. These drinks can contribute to body dehydration.
● Take a bath regularly. A cool shower can help relieve heat.
● Prevent sunburn. Sunburn causes discomfort and can increase your body’s temperature. Apply sunscreen when going outdoors.
● Limit exposure to direct sunlight. Stay in cool places as much as possible.
ALSO READ: Summer diseases and how to avoid them
In the past few months, the Philippines experienced a record-high heat index in various parts of the country. This means that aside from practicing proper hygiene, wearing masks, and social distancing to prevent COVID-19, every Filipino family must also take extra precaution to prevent heat-related illnesses.
At this time when your family’s health could be compromised, you need to be prepared. Get yourself and your family covered with the Family Armor product at the Sun Life Lazada store for that added layer of protection from life’s uncertainties. Check out the Family Armor products to know the type of coverage and affordable protection you can avail of to suit the needs of all your family members.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Get bright news and tips delivered to your inbox
I understand I can unsubscribe at any time and acknowledge that this email address belongs to me. Learn more about privacy and how we collect data to provide you with more relevant content.