These Vegan Cinnamon Waffles are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside with a delicious hint of cinnamon. They’re also really easy to put together and made with really basic ingredients. Enjoy these with your toppings of choice for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
Recipe makes 4 square waffles
1 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk such as oat milk
1 tbsp lemon juice, from half a lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp olive oil, or melted vegan butter
1 cup (130 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp coconut sugar, or other sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
To Finish and Toppings
- Mix the soy milk and lemon juice together. Leave for 10 minutes until the milk curdles from the lemon juice. Afterwards, add in the vanilla extract and oil. Mix well.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat your waffle maker.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- While mixing, carefully pour in the wet mixture into the dry mix. Mix together until there are no longer any signs of dry flour. This will be a really thick batter.
- Brush some oil on your waffle maker (this will depend on your waffle maker—mine doesn’t have a very good non-stick lining so I like to brush some oil).
- Scoop a generous amount of the batter and place it in the center of your waffle maker.
- Leave the waffle to cook until brown and slightly crisp on the edges. The cooking time will depend on your waffle maker settings. Remove from the waffle maker and leave to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before putting on the toppings. The waffles will continue to crisp up as it cools.
- Serve the waffles with your toppings and syrup of choice. Enjoy!