People are always on the lookout for healthy snacks and this is the perfect one. Store-bought granola bars are usually chock-full of sugar to make them taste good. These bars have no added sugar and use bananas and dried fruit for their natural sweetness. Oats are a whole grain carb while nuts and seeds are satiating and full of protein. Just individually wrap them and store in the fridge or freezer and they’ll be ready as your pre- or post-workout snack quicker than it takes to go to the store to buy bars!
Makes 8 to 12 bars
1 cup mashed or pureed bananas
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil or regular coconut oil,
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups quick or instant oats
1 1/3 cups mix of nuts or seeds such as chopped walnuts, sliced almonds, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and/or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, goji berries, chopped mango, chopped pineapple, and/or chopped dates
3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / gas mark 4. Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with nonstick baking paper, letting the sides hang out.
- In a medium bowl, stir the wet ingredients together until mixed through. In a larger mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan and press down with a spoon or your hands until even.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes until firm and golden. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes; remove the bars from the oven and set on a rack until cool enough to handle.
- Slice into 8 or 12 bars and individually wrap them in plastic wrap or foil. Keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week or the freezer for 2 to 3 months.